TheJournal.ie is looking for an experienced Android developer who’s passionate about building amazing products. The job is based in our Dublin office and offers a highly competitive package.
TheJournal.e has driven the change as people move to consuming their news on mobile devices. We have apps that cover general news (TheJournal.ie), Sports News (The42.ie) and Entertainment (DailyEdge.ie). We currently have approx. 430,000 daily readers with the majority of them accessing us on mobile (>70%).
Founded just 6 years ago by well-known web entrepreneurs Brian and Eamonn Fallon (Daft.ie, Boards.ie, Adverts.ie, and DoneDeal.ie), TheJournal.ie has already become the largest mobile news site in Ireland.
As a member of The Journal Tech Team, you will be working on app features that are used daily by thousands of people across multiple devices and platforms. You will have the opportunity to lead the direction of the development of the app and be able to make solid architectural decisions. You will have input to every stage of the product development lifecycle and you will be joining a high-performance development team, where the future of the products is led by the developers. Your efforts will help to drive the growth of our daily active readers from 430,000 to 1 million readers over the next 3 years.
The role involves
- Designing, developing, modifying and implementing mobile applications for Android.
- Implementing creative, usable and compelling user interfaces.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to define, design, and deliver new features as required.
- Ensuring that all code is efficient, clean, scalable and secure.
- Creating and maintaining high quality technical design documents.
- Collaborating closely with our Web and iOS Teams to produce a consistent experience across platforms.
- Keeping up to date with the latest Android trends and developments to ensure that our products are ahead of the curve.
- Designing creative technical solutions for our advertisers that work for them and also for our users.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field.
- Have a minimum of 3 years Android development experience (other development experience a bonus).
- You have published high quality apps in the Play Store.
- You will have ability to come up with creative solutions to product problems.
- Experience of test-driven development is desirable but not essential.
- You will be a self-starter with a proven ability to manage your own time and workload.
- You will possess excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and collaboration skills.
- You will have excellent quantitative and analytical skills.
- You will have an ability to explain your technical solutions and clearly communicate your decisions.
- You will have an ability to listen to, understand and collaborate with the commercial and editorial teams.
- An attractive salary and benefits package.
- The opportunity to work with one of Ireland's largest apps.
- A fast-paced, challenging and fun working environment.
- Interesting and exciting projects, where developers are given wide scope for creativity and innovation.
- A fun, creative and supportive environment, with as much coffee as you need.
- A chance to make a significant contribution to our future technical direction.
- A very central location.
Please provide links to apps, your GitHub account (if you have one) and any other relevant work you have produced.