TheJournal.ie is looking for an experienced web developer who’s passionate about building amazing products. The job is based in our Dublin office and offers a highly competitive package.
TheJournal.ie is building the news company of tomorrow. We believe that we best serve the needs of our readers by marrying a worldclass development team with our talented editorial team of 40+ journalists. As a result, we’re fast becoming a daily habit for the people of Ireland.
Founded just 5 years ago by well-known web entrepreneurs Brian and Eamonn Fallon (Daft.ie, Boards.ie, Adverts.ie, DoneDeal), TheJournal.ie has already become the largest mobile news site in Ireland.
- You love the idea of working in a lean, iterative driven dev team where your decisions impact 500,000 people every day.
- You’ve a good feeling for product design and usability.
- Fixing an obscure bug at the end of the day is pure heaven.
About the Job
The development team is responsible for all aspects of our mobile applications and site infrastructure, from getting the latest news into the hands of our readers, to providing our editorial teams with the best tools to break the big stories.
Areas of work include:
- Storytelling: Our journalists are always experimenting with new ways of telling stories. The dev team works closely with our editors to build a pipeline of new features that will delight our readers.
- First with the news: Milliseconds count. Our APIs, native apps, websites, push/email notifications are continuously optimized so that when a journalist breaks a story, we’re delivering (or updating) the story first!
- Big data: Understanding the habits of our readers and serving them the content that best suits their needs at any given time will enable us to meet the needs of our ever growing audience.
- Growth: Through A/B testing of layouts, text, headlines etc. on platform and on social media we continuously optimize growth and the virality of our content.
- Integrated Advertising: TheJournal.ie has pioneered “social advertising” in Ireland. We enable brands to interact directly with targeted groups of readers on our platform through native content. Our dev team is responsible for building and improving the serving, targeting and reporting infrastructure for these products in conjunction with the commercial team.
About the platform
- A fast, RESTful, API written in PHP. This API powers all of our platforms, from iOS to Android, and Desktop and Mobile websites.
- Native apps on both iOS and Android that ensure a fast reading experience.
- A lightweight website that can scale easily to meet the demands of the modern news cycle.
- Running in AWS (EC2, RDS, Cloudsearch, S3, DynamoDB).
- Our content management system is a customised version of the familiar Wordpress platform. We’ve extended it with many new features that bring greater power to our writers.
- And much more, from adaptive image APIs to NoSQL data collection stores for analytics and cohort analysis.
What we offer
- An attractive salary package and career development plan.
- The opportunity to work on one of Ireland's most popular websites.
- The best tools: MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt Display.
- Interesting and exciting projects, where developers are given wide scope for creativity and innovation.
- A fun and supportive environment, with as much coffee and fruit as you need, in a city center location.
- A chance to make a significant contribution to future success of the company.
Please provide links to previous projects, your github account (if you have one) and any other relevant work you have produced.