Journal Media (TheJournal.ie, The42.ie, Fora.ie, Boards.ie) is looking for an experienced Full Stack developer to work on our Boards.ie website. This is an exciting opportunity to join the team at one of Ireland's fastest growing, most respected and most successful Internet companies.
Boards.ie a discussion forum and Ireland's largest online community. Founded in 1998, it is the biggest site of its kind in the country. Visited by 1.6 million users per month, it has over 42 million posts in its database on a huge variety of topics and is the destination for Irish people or anyone interested in Ireland who are looking for lively debate, conversation and opinion.
About the Job
The role involves maintaining and refactoring the legacy code base, while also developing our responsive and mobile platforms along with our internal API. You will be expected to debug and rework old legacy code into a modern framework (Symfony), that can be called and reused across all our platforms. The role is full stack, which gives you the opportunity to be hands on with both client and server side programming, along with configuring and tweaking the underlying infrastructure. You will work closely with a small team which includes developers, system admins, and community managers, contributing in all phases of the development lifecycle. There will also be a DevOps element to the role, building and improving our internal tools that allow the team to be more productive with developing and deploying the codebase.
Working on one of Ireland’s busiest websites will give you the opportunity to work on interesting problems at large scale, whilst pushing technologies like PHP, Symfony, vBulletin, Nginx, Solr, Amazon web services, NodeJs to their limits.
- You have a degree in Computer Science/Engineering or a related field.
- You have 5+ years of proven software development
- You have experience with Symfony Framework, vBulletin (advantageous)
- Strong SQL ability (MySQL preferred)
- You have a solid understanding of RESTful APIs and Web Services
- You are comfortable with OOP, TDD, and MVC methodologies
- You have solid experience with Nginx, node js (server side), Linux
- You have experience working with Version Control
- You have experience with code deployments and repository management - git experience being a distinct plus
- You have good debugging skills
- Solid frontend development experience
- A willingness to peer review is essential
- You are an advocate for best practices within a team
- You can communicate technical decisions outside of the code through commit messages, pull requests and documentation
- You keep up-to-date with new technologies and techniques in software development
- You are a self-starter with a proven ability to manage your own time and workload
What we Offer
- The chance to make a significant contribution to the future of the biggest online community forum in Ireland
- A fun, supportive and flexible working environment, with as much coffee and fruit as you need.
- A great central location in the heart of Dublin city centre
- The best tools: MacBook Pro and Display.
- An attractive salary package.
Please apply to [email protected] with a CV and cover letter. Please provide links to previous apps, your GitHub account (if you have one) and any other relevant work you would like to share.