Journal Media (TheJournal.ie, The42.ie, DailyEdge.ie, Fora.ie) is looking for an experienced web developer who’s passionate about building amazing products. The job is based in our Dublin city-centre office and offers a highly competitive package and a dynamic, fun work environment.
About Journal Media
TheJournal.ie is our flagship publication and has become the main digital source of news in Ireland. We reach over 430,000 readers across the country every day. We believe that we best serve the needs of our readers by marrying a world class development team with our talented editorial team of 40+ journalists. As a result, we’ve fast become a daily habit for the people of Ireland.
Journal Media is at the forefront of digital news publishing and as such we continually look to leverage uniquely digital forms of distribution. A focus on innovative tech solutions generates exciting projects for our development team and our developers are given wide scope for creativity and innovation.
About The Job
The development team is responsible for all aspects of our websites, mobile applications and infrastructure, from getting the latest news into the hands of our readers, to providing our editorial teams with the best tools to break the big stories.
Areas of work include:
- Storytelling: Our journalists are always experimenting with new ways of telling stories. The dev team works closely with our editors to build a pipeline of new features that will delight our readers.
- First with the news: Milliseconds count. Our APIs, native apps, websites, push/email notifications are continuously optimized so that when a journalist breaks a story, we’re delivering (or updating) the story first!
- Personalisation: Understanding the habits of our readers and serving them the content that best suits their needs at any given time will enable us to meet the needs of our ever growing audience.
- Integrated Advertising: TheJournal.ie has pioneered “social advertising” in Ireland. We enable brands to interact directly with targeted groups of readers on our platform through native content. Our dev team is responsible for building and improving the serving, targeting and reporting infrastructure for these products in conjunction with the commercial team.
About the Platform
- Our content is delivered by a PHP-based API that powers all of our platforms, from iOS to Android, and Desktop and Mobile websites.
- Websites that can scale easily to meet the demands of the modern news cycle.
- Our platform consists of modern PHP applications built using in-house and third party components, from data aggregation to image processing services.
- Our infrastructure runs on Amazon Web Services - utilising EC2, RDS, CloudSearch, S3 and DynamoDB amongst others.
- Our content management system is a modified version of the familiar WordPress platform. We’ve extended it with many new features that bring greater power to our writers.
- You love the idea of working in a lean, iterative driven dev team where your decisions impact hundreds of thousands of people every day.
- You’re familiar with modern PHP development and practices (e.g Composer, PSRs, etc).
- You have developed PHP applications that have proven themselves at scale.
- You have experience working with long-lived applications, improving and pruning them while also implementing new features.
- Experience using some of Laravel, Slim, Wordpress and components from Symfony, the PHP League, etc.
- An understanding of automated testing, and experience of tools such as PHPUnit.
- You’ve a good feeling for product design and usability.
- You have a degree or masters in Computer Science/Engineering or a related field.
- You are a self-starter with an analytical mindset who can manage their own time and workload.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You are passionate about clean code and refactoring code to be more expressive fills you with joy.
What We Offer
- An attractive salary package and opportunities for career development and progression.
- The opportunity to work on some of Ireland's most popular websites and a chance to make a significant individual contribution to the future success of the company.
- The best tools: MacBook Pro and Display.
- Interesting and exciting projects, where developers are given wide scope for creativity and innovation.
- A fun, supportive and flexible working environment, with as much coffee and fruit as you need.
- If you’re cycling or commuting we’ve got you covered with Cycle-to-Work and TaxSaver schemes
- A great central location in the heart of Dublin city centre
Please apply to [email protected] with a CV and cover letter. Please provide links to previous projects, your GitHub account (if you have one) and any other relevant work you have produced.