Journal Media (The Journal, The42, Noteworthy) is looking for an experienced infrastructure engineer who’s passionate about working with cloud-based infrastructure at scale. The role offers a competitive package and a dynamic, fun work environment. You will be able to work from our Dublin city centre office, remotely or a mix of both.
ABOUT JOURNAL MEDIA
An independently-owned and managed media organisation, we began small in 2010 with The Journal and a sports site that is now The42, and have since established ourselves as a market leader in online news in Ireland. We employ dozens of journalists across our publications; The Journal, The42, Noteworthy and The Journal FactCheck unit are now among the most iconic of Ireland's digital brands.
Our FactCheck unit began operations in 2016 and has grown to become the leading factchecking entity in Ireland. And in 2019 we launched Noteworthy which funds and publishes in-depth investigative journalism based on suggestions from the public.
We are at the forefront of digital news publishing. We focus on providing open access to valuable journalism that helps our audience make the best possible decisions for their lives, their families and their communities.
ABOUT THE JOB
Our infrastructure engineering role is responsible for managing our cloud-based infrastructure and its associated tools; from keeping our web applications online and maintaining the underlying systems to ensuring our infrastructure meets the changing needs of our products.
You would be part of our development team. The team consists of a small number of web developers and mobile app developers, along with this sole infrastructure engineering role. You would work closely with the head of engineering and our web developers.
The most critical responsibility of the role is to keep our infrastructure highly available. You would maintain and improve our monitoring tools. In the event of a downtime incident, you would lead our investigation to determine the root cause and prevent repeat incidents.
You would also be responsible for maintaining and improving the software we use to manage our cloud-based infrastructure and the web team's local environments. The tools that the web team uses to release changes also fall under the purview of this role.
The day-to-day activities of the role vary: from upgrading our systems, to refactoring and hardening our tools, to creating brand new infrastructure for the web team to use.
ABOUT THE PLATFORM
- We run a number of different web applications that serve our websites, provide content to our mobile apps and interact with each other. Our most trafficked applications receive thousands of requests per minute.
- Our web applications all run within the Amazon Web Services ecosystem. The services we primarily make use of are EC2, RDS, S3, ElastiCache, and CloudWatch.
- We use automated tools to manage our infrastructure. Our machines are provisioned using Puppet, both in the cloud and in our local environments. Our server images are generated using Packer. Our AWS resources are managed using Terraform.
- Our web team uses Vagrant to run virtual machines configured as closely to production as we can achieve.
- Our web team releases changes to our cloud-based environments using Zendesk's Samson, backed by Capistrano.
- We monitor our applications and infrastructure using AWS CloudWatch, Datadog and StatusCake.
- You're very familiar with a modern cloud-based ecosystem for running distributed web applications, such as Amazon Web Services.
- You're used to working with Linux-based systems.
- You have strong scripting skills and are interested in improving code using mature software engineering techniques.
- You have managed distributed systems that have proven themselves at scale and are comfortable with your decisions impacting hundreds of thousands of users every day.
- You are comfortable working with legacy code, improving existing configurations and scripts and reproducing existing behaviour when adopting more modern tools.
- You have proven experience using orchestration tools like Puppet and Terraform in a production environment.
- You are a self-starter with an analytical mindset who can manage their own time and workload.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You are passionate about iteratively improving existing code to make it more robust in the face of failures.
- You can maintain your composure to fix a system when it goes down and investigating the root cause of these incidents is satisfying work to you.
WHAT WE OFFER
- An attractive salary package and opportunities for professional development.
- The opportunity to work on some of Ireland's most popular websites and apps and a chance to make a significant individual contribution to the success of the company and the future of news.
- The ability to work remotely, from a great central location in Dublin city center or a mix of both.
- A fun, supportive and flexible working environment.
Please apply to [email protected] with a CV and cover letter. Also please provide links to previous projects and any other relevant work you have produced.