The Journal continues to grow as one of the most used and trusted sources of news in Ireland and is now looking to hire an Assistant News Editor to join our growing team.
We’re looking for someone with a love for news who will relish the opportunity to help run a busy and ambitious newsroom that puts stories out to our 450,000 daily readers.
The successful candidate will have great ideas for news stories, and be able to help our journalists publish them. They will be able to show good leadership, ability to multitask, attention to detail and effective decision making.
The role will entail
- Contributing to all aspects of the production of agenda-setting news content, from ideation to publication;
- Working with reporters to ensure consistency and quality of output from The Journal newsroom, across all digital platforms;
- Duty editor tasks, including managing the daily newsroom diary; overseeing breaking news coverage; running daily news meetings; planning next-day and weekend content; editing copy of all genres;
- Liaising with external contacts across media, legal and third-party content services
The successful candidate will
- Have a love for setting the news agenda, and want to break big and exclusive stories
- Be a talented writer and editor
- Be organised and reliable
- Be adept at building relationships and being part of a leadership team
- Be a good communicator with ability to give sharp feedback to a team of reporters
- Be clued into what topics the public are talking about and interested in, as well as surfacing those items that may not yet be talking points but impact the daily lives of people living in Ireland
- Have innovative ideas about how The Journal should cover, explain and expand on news stories
- Have experience mentoring other reporters and/or managing specific journalistic projects.
- At least four years’ experience in a national newsroom
- A working knowledge of Irish laws around defamation, publishing and copyright
- Comfort with the production of online content
- Experience in distribution of content, across social media and other media
Please apply by email with a cover letter and up-to-date CV to [email protected] with Application: Assistant News Editor in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is midnight on 5 March 2023.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.