The Journal continues to grow as one of the most used and trusted sources of news in Ireland and is now looking to hire a news journalist who, along with general news reporting, will be responsible for content in relation to housing, transport and local government.
With over 500,000 readers a day, the successful candidate will become the go-to reporter nationally for information and news about the current state of housing in the country, the government's response to the ongoing crisis and the impact the current system is having on ordinary people.
The role will entail
- Producing regular news stories and larger features/analysis under the categories of housing, transport and local government which keep our readers informed about decisions that impact them
- Providing sharp and insightful coverage and analysis of the Housing crisis
- Identifying and delivering must-read content which deepens a general audience's knowledge of trends and issues within the three areas
- Respond to major breaking news items
The successful candidate will
- Have the ability to increase The Journal's output on these topics
- Be well-versed in matters pertaining to planning, urban and rural infrastructure and local government operations
- Be aware of the increased need and focus on sustainability and the impact on climate change of any infrastructure projects taken on by local authorities in housing, transport and elsewhere
- Identify the key stories and angles to interest The Journal's audience
- Be a self-starter who can work well with editorial desk
- Liaise with other reporters on stories, bringing their expertise to elevate the whole team's output in these area
- Communicate with excellent and accessible writing skills
- Be an excellent general news reporter
Please apply by email with a cover letter and up-to-date CV to [email protected] with Application: Housing, transport and local government reporter in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 17 October.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- At least two years' experience in a news journalism role
- Excellent contacts across various sectors of politics and business
- Excellent news judgement
- Proven ability to self-start and deliver on original stories
- Comfort with and expertise in the production of online content
- Knowledge and experience of Ireland's legal framework around defamation, publishing and copyright