(one-year, full-time contract)
The Journal is looking for a social media content creator to showcase our work to our 1.2 million followers across the platforms.
We want to meet our readers (and potential readers) where they are, highlighting The Journal’s breaking news, original stories, explainers, factchecks, podcasts and newsletters in a smart, engaging and accessible way.
This new position will have responsibility for distributing some of The Journal’s editorial content through Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Facebook. You will make real-time decisions about what stories get placed where, reporting directly to the editors on the newsdesk, so the ideal candidate will be comfortable with the pace of a busy newsroom.
The ideal candidate will also love telling stories on platforms such as Instagram and TikTok, and will execute creative ideas about how to engage different audiences with output from The Journal’s news team, as well as bespoke content.
Reliable, trustworthy news is really important to us, and we want this reflected in the tone of our social media presence. We also appreciate more light-hearted moments too, to reflect what people are talking about in their everyday lives. We’re looking for a self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills, and a good knowledge of news and current affairs.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Creating and posting content to The Journal’s social media accounts - Twitter, Facebook, TikTok and Instagram - as well as to Google News Showcase in a way that best highlights our journalism
- Finding strong content in our work that lives off the site (e.g. podcasts and newsletters) and redistributing on our social platforms
- Creating quiz content and producing polls on issues that are part of the national conversation
- Contribute to larger newsroom projects, such as elections, major news events, etc
Successful candidates will have the following skills and abilities
- A strong sense for news stories, angles and modes of presentation that reflect The Journal’s tone and content
- An excellent knowledge of social media, from the execution of impactful content to platform management
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite of multimedia tools
- Strong photo, video and audio editing skills
- Excellent spelling and grammar
- Creativity and a willingness to try new approaches
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in social media content, ideally in a newsroom or another fast-paced environment
- At least one year of experience working in journalism
Please email a cover letter and CV to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line by midnight on Sunday 22 October