The Journal continues to grow as one of the most used and trusted sources of news in Ireland and is now looking to hire a Weekend News Reporter to join our growing team.
We’re looking for someone with a love for news who will relish telling the stories of the day that matter to our 450,000 daily readers.
Joining our network of freelance reporters offers an opportunity to those at the early stages of their career to develop their breaking news skills and learn from an experienced team of editors and reporters. The role may also appeal to anyone looking to return to the industry or those journalists looking for more flexibility in their working week.
The role will entail
- Producing news stories across shifts on Saturdays and Sundays
- Responding to breaking news items
- Liaising with on-call editors
- Attending press conferences and other news events, as required
The successful candidate will
- Be an excellent general news reporter
- Communicate with excellent and accessible writing skills
- Identify key stories and angles to interest The Journal’s audience
- Be passionate about news-gathering and presenting stories to digital audiences
- Be a self-starter who can work well solo and with an editorial desk
- At least a year’s experience in a news journalism role
- Excellent news judgement
- Comfort with and expertise in the production of online content
- Knowledge of Ireland’s legal framework around defamation, publishing and copyright
Please apply by email with a cover letter and up-to-date CV to [email protected] with Application: Weekend News Reporter in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is midnight on 26 February 2023.